Monday, July 16, 2007

Week 7, Task 16: Learn about Wikis and discover some innovative ways that libraries are using them

So Wikis are a little hit or miss for me. I find most of them quite enjoyable but some of them too disorganized to be enjoyed. They are a living thing so I guess that disorganization is bound to be a side-effect at times. I don't necessarily mind disorganization on the whole but when it comes to an educational/instructive site I need at least a facsimile of structure.

Points I really enjoyed: You have to suspend all ego to participate. You throw your thoughts, information, assistance, etc. out there and anyone can tweak, edit, change, or erase what they want. I sort of like that. I think it invites a certain type of participant that is open to change and free thinking. No control freaks allowed. It actually would be character building for anyone who is trying to become less rigid (I know I need a kick-in-the-butt sometimes!).

I also like that if you go to a wiki and find content missing that you need, or that you think others will benefit from, you can contribute. It's kind of like the study groups in college. You do your part, your study buddies contribute their parts and you have a finished product to work from. It is not only time effective but you can glean information that you may not have pin-pointed on your own. Everyone brings their own knowledge, creativity, personality, humor, and "mojo" to the experience.

Points I didn't care for: The disorganization mentioned above. I do have to point out that I found this to be more of an exception than a rule. Some of the wikis were redundant or unnecessary.

My favorite wikis in our discovery resources/exercise:

Book Lovers Wiki - I loved this wiki. It was so easy to maneuver through and if you are interested in a book you can click on it, see it's availability, and add it to your book cart. I can't wait until we have this type of accessibility up and running. I think it will be a BIG draw.

Using Wikis to Create Online Communities - I found this to be the most informative and "relatable" wiki (about wikis).

A wiki idea: I think a wiki for teens about print books, e-books, music, library programming, etc. where teens can actively contribute to the wiki would be a way to reach this difficult demographic. It is in a format they are more comfortable with (computers/Internet), it can be anonymous (judgement free), and it gives them a sense of control and independence (which they all want at that age) while promoting reading. It could include book reviews and recommendations, ideas for programming, and they can rate our programs. Of course there will have to be someone to monitor for spam and inappropriate material/content because they ARE teenagers. I just think it might be a window into the mysterious world of the contemporary teenager.

No comments: