Friday, July 13, 2007

Week 6, Task 13: Tagging and Discover Del.icio.us

I'm on the fence about Del.icio.us. This tool does offers some handy bonuses. I like that you can access your favorite bookmarks from any computer, that you can tag your web pages, etc., and that you can find things easily through a quick search. This would be a benefit at work ( if you tag all your library/work/book related websites properly) because you can easily pull up specific sites for reference purposes. So it does have it's perks.

On the other hand, I'm not a huge Internet junkie. I use the Internet as a tool but I can't say I use it as a huge source of entertainment. Don't get me wrong, I do flurk and surf on occasion. However, there are definitely other things I would rather do. Let's face it, as library workers we spend a HUGE amount of our time in front of computers. That is one of the main reasons I took this course! I don't know about you guys but when I'm not at work, I would prefer not to be sitting in front of a computer! My point (yes there is one) is that del.icio.us seems, to me, to be about entertaining yourself. Especially the part about stalking other users to find new sites. The site really comes across (once again to me) as a "techie" hangout. I will keep it in mind for work purposes (it WILL be nice to have all my most-used, handy, reference tools within easy access) but I don't see myself utilizing it much beyond that.

By the way......did anyone find the "inbox" that they were talking about? I couldn't find it.


Side note: I added Del.icio.us to my computer at home. When I went to use it, it made me sign in and then it had a glitch where it kept dropping me so I had to keep signing in. I found it inconvenient to use compared to the good old fashioned bookmark. Now I definitely feel that the only pluses to this site are the tagging, for easy searching of topics, and that you can access the info from any computer. But realistically, if you are at a foreign computer and there is not a del.icio.us tool on the tool bar then you have to go to their site anyway. Eh.

No comments: