Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Week 4, Task 8: Make Life Really Simple.......

Goodness Gracious I love the RSS/News Reader idea! I love to delude myself into thinking that I can stay on top of all the sites that I like to "flurk" through. I never do though. I'm so busy at work that I don't have time to stay current. I think, "I'll catch up on my day off". Well we all know how that works. After I finish doing all the stuff I need to on my day off (cleaning, shopping, laundry, paying bills, tending to my garden, playing with my puppies, etc.) I'm too pooped to pop. The Internet surfing/flurking is always at the bottom of the extensive list of things to do! Therefore it never gets done. So I love the idea that I can go to one site every day and catch up on all my Internet surfing. Plus, if I don't find a topic interesting, or worth the time, I can ignore it and I didn't waste my time getting the information. Yea! Whomever invented RSS new readers is a ROCK STAR! :o)

I think that this is heaven sent for librarians. You can easily stay on top of your work related sites as well as current events and online journals. Having all of that at your fingertips is wonderful! Think of all the time you will save.


NOTE: I used Google Reader instead of Bloglines. Google is my homepage on my personal computer. Since I intend on using the news reader long after 23 things is completed I thought that it would be a better fit for me personally (I checked with our 23 things goddess, Jen,to make sure it was kosher). It was extremely easy to set up. They provide a written tutorial which is well worth the read before you get started. VERY user friendly in my opinion. Of course Google generally is a user friendly group anyway. If anyone would like to use Google Reader instead of Bloglines, and has questions or needs help, feel free to contact me either here or at the O.C. Branch. I am still learning too but I may be able to help.

If anyone would like to check out my public news reader site here it is:
http://www.google.com/reader/shared/08975248847029985652

There are a couple interesting articles there (well, of course I think so). :o)

No comments: